[autismo-biologia] Sviluppo di Nuovi Farmaci per il trattamento dei Disturbi dello Spettro Autistico

Gierre gr0457 a gmail.com
Lun 23 Gen 2012 09:12:23 CET

Segnalo che il numero di Febbraio 2012 di *Clinical Pharmacology &
Therapeutics*, la pių autorevole rivista di farmacologia a livello
internazionale, appartenente a Nature, riporta in articolo sui pių recenti
orientamenti della scoperta e dello sviluppo di nuovi farmaci  per il
trattamento dei Disturbi dello Spettro Autistico.
Allego sotto il riassunto in inglese dell'articolo.
Giuseppe Recchia

*Pathways to Drug Development for Autism Spectrum Disorders*
*DR Hampson, S Gholizadeh and LKK Pacey*
Autism spectrum disorders (AS Ds) are neurodevelopmental disorders whose
prevalence has risen over the past two decades. Current drug treatments for
AS Ds and the related disorders—fragile X syndrome (FXS) and
Rett syndrome—target specific symptoms but do not address the basic
underlying etiologies. However, based partly on an improved understanding
of the neurochemical underpinnings of FXS, pharmacotherapy for this
syndrome has progressed to the point of clinical trials of several novel
drug treatments. By contrast, our overall understanding of
the neuropathophysiology of ASDs is still rudimentary. There is hope in the
field that knowledge and experience gained in the study of fragile X and
Rett syndromes may be applicable to the larger autism patient population.
In this review, we discuss how recent advances in our understanding of the
biochemistry and neuropathology of these disorders could lead to new more
effective treatments for ASDs.